Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cisco @ Bangalore

Its has been long since I have blogged.So I got this idea of writing something about my stay in Cisco,Bangalore.


It has been almost 15 months in Bangalore. Cisco Systems, being my first step in the Corporate World, (though I had done full six months internship in Freescale Semiconductor,Noida)is completely different from what I have heard or seen before. I was mesmerized when I saw "Cisco Cessna Campus". Its was a huge campus with two blocks and the third one in making. You got to swipe your card everytime to go to the next room. The campus had a huge cafeteria serving foods ranging from North Indian, South Indian, Chinese, Tandoori , Juice-center and finally a Live-Kitchen where you could order from variety of yummy stuffs. Then I saw the club house with a Gym, pool tables, carrom boards, Fooseball tables, a basket ball court and an open ground where I saw people playing cricket. The initial one month in Cisco was fun. Parties,yummy foods,trips to Fun places filled with lot of interesting activities and of course day-long Induction presos for New College hires were common.


After the completion of Induction programmes, we moved to our Business Units (commonly called as BU's ,basically departments). I was moved in ARTG ( Access Routing Technology Group) as I had opted for VOIP (Voice/Video over IP). Within a week, I was moved from one team (SIP-TDM gateway) to another (Cisco Unified Border Element or in simple terms IP-IP gateway). The job was very interesting,say sixty percent of my time consisted of Lab testing and fifteen percent in preparing test plans and presenting them to India/US team and the fifteen percent in automating my testcases using Tcl.


Cisco Systems is full of oppurtunities/challenges. You get to know new technologies. Before the world can even think of , you are working on developing such technologies. The work might become sometimes so interesting that one might end up in becoming a "Workaholic" even before one realizes the transformation. And 'I' am one such person :) . Cisco has rightly kept its vision "To change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns."

No comments: