Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Dream Come True ..


I have often heard people saying that Dreams don't come true. So there is no point in dreaming. But 'some dreams' do come true and getting into Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore is one such dream of mine. Getting a call is supposed to be the toughest part of the process of admission into an IIM. However, the interview part is tougher. The good thing about the interview  processes is that IIMs have now moved to essays from Group Discussions.  And even if one gets an essay to write on a topic of least interest, one can atleast write a few lines explaining what one understands from the topic and then can go on to discuss more about those thoughts. Whereas a GD is too much dependent on the other candidates in your group.

Before I digress from my intial thought of writing about my Personal Interview experience,  I would directly go to the point. With this, let me give me a brief background of the interview center and panelists. The interview was at IIM-B. There were three panelists comprising a young female Prof (P1), a middle aged smart Prof (P2) and a young calm and composed person (P3), supposedly an alumnus from industry. After the essay writing, there was a gap of an hour before my turn came for the PI. Allow me to call myself  as "Bakra"  which  is close to "Bakar".  So anticipating a question what I did in last one hour, I went around the campus for sometime.

P2 comes out and calls my name. I follow him in the room and on way, P2 breaks the ice.

P2:  So you had a nice nap for an hour. 
Bakra :  ( Alert !!!..... trick question to check if  Bakra wasted time) No Sir, I just went around the campus to get feel of the college.

P2 : So what did you find interesting in the campus ?
Bakra : ( by this time, P2 and Bakra are seated ) The campus is awesome..I had been to campus before also but mostly i have spent time around the hostel side. this is the first time i have come towards the Academic section..This side is a bit confusing. even i was lost once.. reached college canteen.. on returning checked with one senior faculty and managed to reach back 

P2:  But you didnt tell anything interesting ?
Bakra:  Sir, Overall the campus is interesting. But I would tell something which I found "weird"

P2: "Weird" ?? What did you find weird ??
Bakra:  Sir, Right after this room if you go to the left, you would find a signboard on the top which shows an arrow  that the restrooms are on the right side. But there are no restrooms are on the right side ... They are on the Left side near the Faculty Club.

P1: So you mean to say that  we at IIM-B mislead people ? ( the panelists start laughing)
Bakra : ( Shocker but Bakra smartly handles it) No mam, I would not call it misleading. I would rather call it an "opportunity to explore more". Had the signboard be right, I wouldnt have cared to go to the other side.

With this answer,  Bakra felt that interviewers were really interested in talking to him.

P2: Tell us about yourself
Bakra: (favourite question) gave gyan and plants two traps for the interviewers to fall into. One is about "Deoghar" and "Lord Shiva's temple" and second one is about the work in Cisco

P1: So what do you do at Cisco ?
Bakra: ( favourite question) gave full gyan about VoIP testing.

P1: I am Psychology prof and I hardly understand anything technical.
Bakra:  No problem mam. I would explain in simplest possible layman language ( Gave full gyan in simple language)

P2:  We read your SOP and found that  you havent written why you want to do an MBA
Bakra:  Yes Sir.  I hadnt written it intentionally so that I could explain in front of the panel. ( The actual reason   was that Bakra hadnt found the answer to this question while SOP submission)

P2: So can you tell us now ?
Bakra:  ( Gave gyan ... growing up the corporate ladder)

P1: That you can do so in your own organisation
Bakra: Yes mam. I can do so but the only problem is that to get a similar opportunity in my organisation, it will take another 10 years. So isnt it logical to opt for a course which provides you a similar opportunity in next 2-3 years ?

P2:  We see from your essay that you have interest in Hindu mythology ? (The essay topic was "Its difficult to explain religion with the use of Science")
Bakra: ( opportunity to drive the interviewers to the first trap) Sir, its because of my background from where I come.

P2: Whats the significance of  your hometown ?
Bakra: (favourite question)... Gave all the gyan about Deoghar and jyotirlinga.

P2:  How many jyotirlingas are there ?
Bakra:  Sir, 12.

P2:  ( Gets excited and starts recalling the names of  jyotirlingas)
Bakra: And Sir, ( tells the remaining  jyotirlingas which P2 missed)  

P2: So whats the story behind the jyotirlinga at Vaidyanath ( deoghar)
Bakra: ( starts the story behind the jyotirlinga) 

P3: (finally opens his mouth) what's Jyotilinga ?
Bakra: explains. P2 supports Bakra and adds few more lines.

(Bakra speaks for next ten minutes continuously narrating the story. No interruptions from the panelists. )

P2: So what do you think the story behind other Jyotirlingas ?
Bakra: Sir, I am not sure about the stories behind other Jyotirlingas. but I feel it should be different as they are located in different places.

P2: No, the story behind each Jyotirlinga is same.
Bakra: I am not sure.  I will google it and check.

P2: yeah , check on google today when you go home.
P1: ok, tell me .. leave .. anyway we will meet.. fine.. You can go.
Bakra: ( Gets a hint that he is through) Thankyou Mam and Sirs.

The interview lasted for almost forty minutes.




   
  


8 comments:

Jayant said...


Dream with your eyes open



All men dream,but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of thier minds,awake in the day to find it was all vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality. - T.E. Lawrence.

Unknown said...

congrats to u for clearing one among toughest exams in world.
Thank you so much for sharing ur experience with us.

It is really inspirational and talks about how to frame " keywords " in the intro which basically ends up in a " real questions " in the interview.

Best of Luck for your future!!

Abhinav said...

@jayant

Next time i wud try to dream with open eyes :)

@vikas
Thanks Vikas :)

yogs said...

First of all Congrats!! you deserve it.




Ab to MBA mein sirf Bakar hi karna padega...

Aage Ek doosre ko bakra banane ki baat hai

Abhinav said...

Thanks Yogi :)

SONAL said...

read ur experience at iim-b..very interestingly described!congrats to u on becoming d "bakra"!

Abhinav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abhinav said...

@sonal.. thanks